lodge mark
wooden sign


Lodge History

Freemasonry came to Grantown in 1811

On 6th May that year, Grand Lodge of Scotland issued a charter founding Craigelachie (sic) Lodge No.317. The inaugural meeting was held at Duncan Grant’s farm at Lettoch, Abernethy. All subsequent meetings took place in Grantown at a variety of venues, although sadly most of these are unrecorded.

The Lodge was created under the Friendly Societies Act 1793 and existed as a credit union to provide benefits to members and their widows such as annuities and death benefits. The annual subscription was due on St. John’s Day, 7th January, and known as Quarter Pennies.


11 The Square

Meetings October to March